Thursday, November 5, 2009

Darjeeling & Himalayas!

So far it's been interesting...
Darjeeling is a medium sized hill village stuck on the side of a mountain facing Mount Kantuchunga, the worlds 3rd highest mountain.
I definitely got attacked by a (flock, family, littler, gaggle???) of monkeys while taking a picture of a baby monkey on the top of a Holy Hill. I was seriously freaking out, I even dropped my camera lens that I was holding in my hand. My friend Tobi bravely rescued it while I ran away screaming. The monkeys were biting my legs and feet! Holy Crap!

The next few day we decided to ditch the trek we planned and visit Sikkim on the Indo-China-Tibet border. So that morning we woke up at 3:00 am and caught a jeep going to "tiger hill." It was freeeeeeeezing on top of the hill/mountain but it was worth it after seeing the golden sunrise hitting Mount Katchunchunga and Everest, making them glow Golden-pink. As the sun rose many Indians started singing OmVespa a mantra that I've learned at the school so I got to sing along.
Then we left for Sikkim and failed getting across the border because I only have a copy of my passport b/c I left it at the school so I wouldn't lose it on my trip. So we turned around and randomly ended up in a BEAUTIFUL hill town called Teesta, next to the gorgeous blue-green Teesta River. While asking local children where we can sleep they led us to a funny bazaar, hostel place overlooking the river. It was run by a hilarious old Nepali x-British army officer who was in a wheelchair but had plenty of energy. We also met a funny boy our age name Soumik from Kolkatta, he was soooooooo hilarious and came all the way to Darjeeling to buy this laminated Nirvana poster for his future "rock and roll museum." When I inquired about the museum he said "None of this Gothic-Popular sh**, that's not the way Jim Morrison would have wanted it." HAHA!

The next night we spent in a remote village up in the mountain 8 kilometers. The people were all about organic farming and growing medicinal herbs for the villagers to stop being depended on Western medicines. I got a chance to sing song with the local Nepali children at the school run by the main guy. The school was free for children who could afford it any other way. They were adorable. I woke up with the Majestic Himalayas out my front door. I read Acts with the sound of roosters crowing and children playing for a couple hour while eating Swiss chocolate and drinking the world famous Darjeeling Tea they brought to our "bungalow" in the morning.

Now we are in siliguri and we are excited for the Taj Mahal tomorrow!!!

3 comments:

  1. Bite by Monkey? Dang now you are going to get Rabies, I don't think you got that shot before you left home. Stay Safe.
    Love
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rock and roll museums are the best! He is right, Jim Morrison only has it one way and that way doesn't include goth-pop.

    The monkey attack sounds scary but I must admit I started busting up laughing at work when I read it.

    I miss you see you in 40 days! (it's beginning to feel really close now! 40 days really isn't THAT long, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh. my GOOOODDDD! your life is insane right now. I really hope you realize how remarkable all of those adventures are. sleeping in a bungalow in a village in the Himalayas and then deciding that you would fancy a visit to the Taj! We are going to be the best Amazing Race team EVER!!!!

    ReplyDelete