Thursday, September 24, 2009

Bilbo said it best...

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, he used to say.
You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing
where you might be swept off to.

Today I survived the Kolkata train station that serves millions of passengers everyday. It. was. insane.

I felt like a mute albino minnow in an ocean of Bengali speaking piranhas. I was trying for quite awhile to find the ferry next to the train station to go across the river, it shouldn't have been that difficult, I mean...look for the river right? Well unfortunately common sense (as well as your sense of direction and sense of sanity) are useless here. I found a hostel and there are a ridiculous amount of Japanese people in mine, it's like one foreign country to another. Cole would love it :) Why don't Americans ever travel to India? I have met 2 Americans in 2 months, and they were at the school for 10 minutes. Europeans love it though, in fact I have been invited to stay for free in Italy, Japan, London, Spain, and all over Switzerland! Score!

While I was practicing my Hindi script and talking to a friendly Japanese lady this old Malaysian man playing the tabla(s) [spelling? it's two small drums] ordered us chia and we got to talking about Philosophy, the Mind, and Music, honestly most of it was over my head. Or some of the time I couldn't concentrate because I was thinking to myself "There is a shirtless Malaysian tabla guru discussing with me the concept of the paradigm of simplicity on a rooftop in Kolkata." Focus! He was really smart though, it made me think about how my English is really slipping here, especially when it comes the Philosophical jargon, which is okay because I need that for one more year of school and then probably never again.

Okay I going to go buy some bananas, read my bible and try to sleep but will most likely fail because of mosquitoes and the noise of the city.

Namaste Dost!

No comments:

Post a Comment