Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Amazon Rainforest

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
Who wants to move to Southern Ecuador with me? I know Dana will.
I´m having a difficult time putting into words how unbelieveably beautiful everything is in the Amazon. Everything is wet, lush, and brilliant. There are fruits and waterfalls EVERYWHERE not to mention plentyof mosquitos (ouch.)

Saturday we visited three major waterfalls. We had to take a jankity/awesome cable car across an enormous gourge with a river below us. At the second one we found a sweet swing and domianted it. Also if you know me at all you know I love finding four leaf clovers there was an entire field of four leaf clovers! I laid down right in the middle of them.

Right before we were finished hiking to the third waterfal we saw this sign... (God Exist)
We climbed down to this platform that was probably 10 feet away from this enormous waterfall that was a part of a river that empties into the Amazon. Every few seconds a huge wall of freezing Andes water poured down on us. We had to scream at each other to talk it was so loud. Everyone who ventured down that far was pretty overwhelmed and there was a lot of hugging.
I can´t believe I am so lucky to experience all these beautiful things. God is so amazing and his creation is so much bigger than Missouri. The entire hike I was in awe of the extravagance of the earth we live on.
Sunday we rafted down a river that empties into the Amazon. Our guide said it is actually a younger river so the rafting is more intense than the Amazon River (especially since it was pouring down rain some of the time). Our guide was insane he pushed my friend Abby out of the raft! He kept singing We Will Rock You and La Bamba haha! And he insisted on reminding us of all the pirañas. Which is pronounced peer-rawn-yuhz, it was cracking me up. I´m pretty sure he had a cold too because he kept hawking the biggest lougies right next to my ear as I was trying to enjoy the peaceful landscape of Amazon Valley.
Anyways Rafting was by far the most fun I´ve had here. The river was insane! The view was indescribable. There were clouds sitting in the middle of the trees along the river, they seemed to be suspended there by something.

Okay so now we are back home and I am expecting to go to school on Monday...wrong! We left early from the Academia and stood in line for 8 and a half hours to get tickets to the World Cup qualifier Ecuador vs. Argentina fútbol game Tomorrow. (The game starts at 4pm central time and should be live on ESPN.) Ecuador won Sunday so if they beat Argentina (which is hard to do) they will be in good running for the World Cup and the Latin American Cup. I actually don´t know much about fútbol so sorry if any of this is wrong but I´m pretty sure it´s what´s going down.

I am so incredibly sunburnt from standing under the Equator for that long, but it was worth it. We didn´t get lunch so I bought a mango and a water for this sweet lady who was about 3 feet tall. I might be losing weight from all the fruit but I don´t know because the hoof soup, guinea pig, and Galak Bars might be evening it out. After standing in line for 5 hours everyone all of a sudden decided to get mad that we were gringos and were ahead of them in line. They kept trying to get the polica to kick us out of line. As J-Lew and Professor Lupin would say...ridiculous (Riddikulus). It was a cultural experience to say the least. I haven´t seen sports fans this radical and it wasn´t even game day. I can´t wait till tomorrow we get to leave school early to go stand in line...sometimes I can´t believe I am getting school credit for this stuff.

Oh yea and we stuck it to the man again because all together our tikets for the game were $827, thanks Missouri State.

Today we went to a wonderful art museum and I bought a beautiful print Niño Dormiendo for on $6. I would talk more about the amazing past few days but my favorite Asain is waiting for me.

Oh yea I got to Skype with Cameron yesterday, he sat the computer at the end of the dinner table while they were eating so it was like I was having dinner with the Wileys. My skype account is lisa.dennis125, I´m pretty much never on but just in case.

¡CHAO! Zaijian (Mandarin Chinese, I´m pretty much fluent)






1 comment:

  1. If Dana gets to move there, so do, how is their Wine? I never would have guessed how Beautiful Ecuador is.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete