Monday, June 15, 2009

Volcan de Chimborazo

Here are a couple awesome ladies making a rub in Riobamba. It will take 4 of them a week to finish a single rug. Props to the industrial revolution anyone? The first two days of this weekend weren't very interesting we were supposed to go mountain biking but that was a bust. Sunday, however, was wonderful. We hiked up Chimborazo Volcanoe. Only about half of the group made it up. On my way up I thought I was almost last but it turns out I was the third to make it up. We obviously didn't make it to the peak because you can only do that at night because of melting and avalanches. Any true fan of Bear Grylls knows what I'm talking about.

On the way up I got super hot and basically stripped down to my pants and a t-shirt at less than 30 degrees. I'm not sure how but I even lost a sock. (Yea, I know...wtf?) We drank some coca tea which helped with the altitude. (and yes it's illegal to bring to the States, I tried)

Chimborazo is unique because even though Everest and other mountains are higher, Chimborazo is the furthest point from the center of the earth and the closest point on earth to the sun. This is because the earth flexes and bows out about 2 kilometers at the equator. We hiked to about 5,500 meters which is over 16,000 feet, trumping Snowmass and Pikes peak easily. The top is around 19,000 feet I believe. It was quite wonderful and cloudy. Emma and I took a Chacos picture. We are going to try to send it in and be in an advertisment.

Today Emma Abby and I were going to explore the old city but NO we had some suprise Spanish classes pulled out of nowhere so that sucks. After climbing that far I decided that some day my husband and I are going to take awesome vacations and climb up volcanoes, raft down the amazon, and see the seven wonders. Life is so short and I don't really want possesions I just want to see and experience as much as I can. (I promise I'll be home for Christmas mom.)
p.s. Sara Monster: I forgot to say thanks for the 5 leaf clover to left in my notebook for me. I see it everyday and I think of you.
And did I ever mention that I eat potatoe soup with popcorn in it all the time. You have to get used to it but it's pretty good. I'm not sure if I already mentioned it. Mom, Dad, soup-popcorn night soon? haha

1 comment:

  1. hummm , soup popcorn? oh ya forgot ,no can do , diverticulitus "thank god" lol ,enjoy all you can ,see ya soon,love dad

    ReplyDelete