Thursday, August 6, 2009

Aunti! Aunti!

Lisa Dennis
Alice Project Universal Education School
Ghurahoopur, Sarnath, Varanasi-221007
(U.P.) India

I have to make this quick because I have Italian women waiting for me. I will elaborate on my adventures later. So far India is crazy and wonderful. New Delhi and Varanasi are very very busy and confusing but Sarnath and the smaller village Ghurahoopur (where the Alice Project is) are smaller and quieter. Yesterday was a holiday festival for brothers and sisters so there was no school, I visited the first place Buddah gave a sermon, there were monks from all over the world and the place was covered in colorful prayer cloths. I haven't been eating any hoof soup-type things yet because I have the Italians to cook pasta and all sorts of delicious food for me. There are about 20 students who live at the school with me and I am already growing close to them. Today at school I got introduced to the schools 1,000 students! SO wonderful! They call me "leesha" or Aunti! I think I am too old to be an Aunt so I told them to call me "sista" but out of respect they will not. They are very poliet greeting you with a bow saying "namaste, how are you Aunti?" Later I will tell you about my adventures learning Crikett (spelling?) and yoga. (They are pretty hilarious.)
Today poor Akash, a 12 year old boy who is a good friend of mine now, is very ill. I think he has the flu, Sharvan told me he had "oily poo" haha. Well on that note...namaste!

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear about cricket and yoga! And your nicknames are hilarious! Oh man, it sounds incredible. I miss you leesha! Feel free to call if you ever get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read this like 200 times and have now listened to your message many times as well. I am still kicking myself for missing your call. I was in my room, where I apparently don't get cell phone service and didn't hear the house phone ring. But that is no excuse. Tomorrow morning I am going to be ready to talk. I can't wait! Also, if it is easier for you to call in the morning (your time) and nighttime (my time) I am all for that. Regardless, talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOD!!! So it turns out your life is amazing. You have noo idea how incredibly jealous I am that I'm not there with you. That sounds absolutely amazing! It's kind of iffy to talk on the phone now because of the cell service but hopefully when I get back to school we can chat it up! don't even know what else to say. amazing

    ReplyDelete